The Knoxville Professional Office Building (KPOB) project consisted of the construction of two new multi level office buildings and the associated 3 deck parking structure. The important design and construction aspects consisted of the following elements:
- Tight site constraints with numerous MSE retaining walls and terrace levels in both cut and fills applications
- Geotechnical analysis of affects of site cuts and walls on a high capacity gas (fuel) line
- High structural loads for main facility and parking garage required intermediate foundations to control settlement
- Site specific seismic study
- Karst geology and sinkhole repair during construction
- a storm water management system consisting of dry and wet ponds, curb and yard inlet structures
- a US military specified perimeter security system complete with diversion berms, chain link with razor wire and numerous security check stations.
The total project cost exceeded $60-million.
GEOServices was responsible for all geotechnical testing, geotechnical design (MSE wall design), and QA/QC testing in accordance with stringent GSA and FBI standards. GEOServices provided materials testing service in conjunction with their off-site AASHTO approved laboratory. On-site materials testing services including soils testing, concrete testing, foundation observations, rammed aggregate pier inspection services, retaining wall inspections, reinforcing steel inspections, structural steel inspections (superstructure), aggregate testing, and asphalt testing.