The ETCH Scrips Networks Tower Expansion consisted of the construction of an approximately 245,000 square feet, 5-story hospital tower providing the most modern pediatric care possible for the Knoxville area. The hospital tower and the associated parking and access drives were constructed for an approximate project cost of $75 million. The important design and construction aspects consisted of the following elements
- Redevelopment of a previous commercial site required significant geotechnical consideration for demolition of numerous subsurface structures.
- Site specific seismic study to minimize the impacts of the new IBC Code restrictions
- Deep foundation and shoring installation due to tight site access restraints.
- Detailed post-tension and cast-in-place inspections.
- Special foundation considerations related to the walkway between the existing and new hospital towers.
GEOServices was responsible for all geotechnical testing, geotechnical design (temporary shoring for below grade walls), and QA/QC testing in accordance with stringent health care standards. GEOServices provided materials testing service in conjunction with their off-site AASHTO approved laboratory. On-site materials testing services including soils testing, concrete testing, foundation observations, retaining wall inspections, reinforcing steel inspections, structural steel inspections (superstructure), aggregate testing, and asphalt testing.